RE $50 Million NSF windfall??

Karl Denninger karl at MCS.NET
Wed Mar 12 17:50:34 EST 1997

On Wed, Mar 12, 1997 at 05:42:33PM -0500, John Curran wrote:
> At 16:59 3/12/97, Jim Fleming wrote:
>
> >Has it occurred to you that the NSF may have to
> >reclaim rights because of the massive revenue
> >stream that apparently is NOT being generated...?
>
> Given that paying for DNS names is a relatively
> new concept, I can understand the desire to be
> somewhat cautious before dropping registrations
> for lack of payment (I'd certainly be concerned
> if the long-term intention was to have only a
> 50% payment rate, but that's unlikely to be the
> situation).
>
> /John
>
> p.s.  My third post of the day; everyone enjoy
>       the peace (till tomorrow :-)

I'd agree with you if I didn't find 32% of the registrations in COM to have
bogus nameservers (ie: NS records for which the NAMESERVER failed to resolve
to an IP address!)

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal