Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Brian Macdougall brian at system.co.za
Mon Mar 10 07:29:00 EST 1997

At 04:26 PM 3/9/97 -0500, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>[distribution *changed* to NAIPR]
>
>At 12:26 PM 3/9/97 -0600, Brett L. Hawn wrote:
>

>>Been there, read that, and I still say they're selling space, leasing space,
>>auctioning space, etc. Fact of the matter is they are _CHARGING MONEY_ (not
>>bannana peels) for services rendered. Their services are to hand out IP
>>space and maintain databases, therefor they are SELLING space.
>>

>*sigh*
>
>I had hoped to absolve myself of the need to feel compelled to
>respond to anything in this forum, but I obviously do not have
>the self-control I once thought I did.
>
>Irregardless of whether you *feel* that ARIN is *selling*
>IP address space, this is not the case. They are charging fees
>for registry services. Please resolve yourself to this fact.

They are also charging what may be a manageable fee in USA, but is out of
the question in a non-NIC country like South Africa.... US$2500 for a class
C is beyond our reach, and will make a substantial dent in our
profitability... we are after all in business as well. The registry
services may need to be billed, but at the price quoted??

We also understand that the IPv4 system is subject to change soonish, and
steps need to be taken to make this as comfortable to manage as possible,
but the USA is (as usual) dictating to the rest of the planet how it WILL
be done. I find this abuse of moral responsibilty reprehensible - give us
an option (even in the short term) to create a nuetral registration body
for the African continent to relieve ARIN of the *onorous* task of
supporting our little backwater.

The same would follow for all non-USA territories, where no thought has
been given to the affordability or responsibility for THEIR networks.

--
|     Brian Macdougall     |     Planet Pinnacle       |
|     brian at system.co.za   |  The Internet Company     |