Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Paul Ferguson pferguso at CISCO.COM
Sun Mar 9 16:26:28 EST 1997

[distribution *changed* to NAIPR]

At 12:26 PM 3/9/97 -0600, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

>Been there, read that, and I still say they're selling space, leasing space,
>auctioning space, etc. Fact of the matter is they are _CHARGING MONEY_ (not
>bannana peels) for services rendered. Their services are to hand out IP
>space and maintain databases, therefor they are SELLING space.

*sigh*

I had hoped to absolve myself of the need to feel compelled to
respond to anything in this forum, but I obviously do not have
the self-control I once thought I did.

Irregardless of whether you *feel* that ARIN is *selling*
IP address space, this is not the case. They are charging fees
for registry services. Please resolve yourself to this fact.

>The last time I checked RFC's were not GOSPEL, they are a good idea to
>follow but are NOT mandatory. I could turn around tomorrow and create an MUA
>that doesn't follow the SMTP RFC except in the most remote cases and whats
>going to happen? _NOTHING_, why? because RFCs simply are not the GOSPEL, and
>lets face it, stupid traditions are just that, stupid traditions, this is no
>longer your cozy little lounge, there are millions of people here and just
>because you got here first doesn't mean you're allowed to make decisions for
>the rest of them.

Go ahead and ignore the RFC's (especially the ones called 'Best
Current Practice') and see how far that gets you in the Real
World (tm).

- paul

>Since I've already gone over the fact that RFCs can be treated just like
>toilet paper (ie. Netscape, MSIE, and countless thousands of other products)
>I'll ignore your primary argument as worthless.

Again, please feel free to ignore RFC compliance. The rest of us
will just continue conducting business as usual.

- paul