How can a consensus emerge...

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Tue Mar 4 14:53:13 EST 1997

Ivan,

If you check the archives for the ARIN discussion list, you will
see that some of these topics have been discussed.

Also, there are people at the NSF you can contact.

National Science Foundation
	Neal Lane - nlane at nsf.gov
	<http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/forum/lane/quscipol.htm>
		Juris Hartmanis - jhartman at nsf.gov
		<http://www.cise.nsf.gov/oad/jhartman.html>
			George Strawn - gstrawn at nsf.gov
			<http://www.cise.nsf.gov/ncri/Georgehome.html>
				Don Mitchell - dmitchel at nsf.gov
				<http://www.cise.nsf.gov/ncri/Donhome.html>

Your inputs are valuable to the process. If you take
a look at the InterNIC's web site, you will note many
changes that have occurred.

The NSF controls the InterNIC...talk to them...

Jim Fleming

@@@@@  http://www.iahc.org/iahc-discuss/mail-archive/2138.html

Re: So what have we learned from this?

Ivan Pope (ivan at netnames.com)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:47:34 +0000

>>Most recently, NSI was taken to task in a Washington Post article for its
>>failure to spend the money set aside for the infrastructure fund and for
>>refusing to explain why. The $13 million earmarked for this purpose sits in
>>a bank account earning around 5 percent interest, according to Telage.
>>
>>For their part, NSI and the NSF say the reason for the delay is that a
>>consensus on how to use that money still has not emerged; but the NSF said
>>it will likely stop charging this infrastructure fee in the future, thus
>>reducing NSI's domain name registration fee by as much as 30 percent,
>>according to NSF spokesman Donald Mitchell.

How can a consensus emerge if you don't have a discussion. I'd like to know
what proposals NSI have put out, what the response has been, who has been
consulted. I've never seen any proposals from NSI about this.
I am insulted that my clients pay an extra 30% so that it can sit in a bank
account.
Ivan

Ivan Pope ivan at netnames.co.uk
NETNAMES * The INTERNATIONAL DOMAIN NAME REGISTRY
Registering Domain Names in over 160 countries
http://www.netnames.com  +44 171 224 2017
UK Freephone 0800 269049

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing
Proverb

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation