So what have we learned from this?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Tue Mar 4 14:49:06 EST 1997

Ivan,

I am glad that you brought this up in the IAHC discussion.
You might also want to join the ARIN discussion. It is
supposed to cover these topics.

Your experience in these areas could be helpful to
the ARIN discussions.

More info is at...http://www.arin.net

Jim Fleming

@@@@@  http://www.iahc.org/iahc-discuss/mail-archive/2137.html

Re: So what have we learned from this?

Ivan Pope (ivan at netnames.com)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:46:02 +0000

>>In another move to streamline its functions, NSI is leading a proposal to
>>set up a nonprofit organization that would assign Internet numbers and, for
>>the first time ever, charge a fee for them. NSI currently manages the
>>assignment of IP addresses under its agreement with the NSF, the cost of
>>which has been subsidized by its domain name registration fees. The
>>proposed organization, to be called the American Registry of Internet
>>Numbers (ARIN), would collect user fees of from $2,500 to $25,000 a year,
>>depending on the number of addresses registered.

So NSI stops subsidising the IP address assignment out of Domain Name fees.
So, do the Domain Name fees go down? And, by how much? Or do NSI add this
to their profit?
Ivan

Ivan Pope ivan at netnames.co.uk
NETNAMES * The INTERNATIONAL DOMAIN NAME REGISTRY
Registering Domain Names in over 160 countries
http://www.netnames.com  +44 171 224 2017
UK Freephone 0800 269049

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing
Proverb

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation