ARIN Comments

Stephen Satchell satchell at ACCUTEK.COM
Sat Mar 1 18:23:05 EST 1997

At 10:36 AM -0700 2/27/97, David R. Conrad wrote:

>And why use states as the delinating boundary?  Why should (say)
>Nevada have the same number of registries as (say) California?  Why
>not use a more fair distribution function based on number of service
>providers or population or number of telephones?

As a soon-to-be-ex Nevadan, I have to echo your comment about allocating an
/8 to the State.  While we may be the only state raped by Lincoln for its
land, the fact of the matter is that the current population could be
serviced quite easily by a single /16, regardless of what UNR and UNLV
think.

The proposal for a *single* registry for the Americas means that any
diaspora of numbers happens naturally, rather than having a shortage in one
place and an abundance in another. From purely a resource management
standpoint, splitting ARIN does *NOT* make sense.

It also doesn't makes monetary sense, either.

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
http://www.accutek.com/~satchell for contact info
Opinions expressed are my own PERSONAL opinions.