ARIN /8s ?

Karl Auerbach karl at CAVEBEAR.COM
Sun Jun 29 23:40:54 EDT 1997

Before we go off further onto this tangent, my feeling is that we drop
the discussion of "ownership" and talk more about the mutual
obligations which should be imposed to ensure that the recapture of
addresses can't be called an arbitrary or capricious processs.

I suggest that ARIN say (as I believe it does) that addresses
assignements may be changed, and even withdrawn.  In addition, ARIN
should say that such assignments won't be withdrawn or changed without
N months prior notice and that once an assignment is made, it won't be
withdrawn or changed except after a minimum of one year.  And ARIN
should require that these provisions be imposed as part of any
sub-delegation/assignment.

That's pretty close to the way most real property leases work, and no one
who receives a delegation could realistically (I hope) complain that such
terms are too onerous.  Similarly, we should have our network planning
stable enough that we can add a couple of months delay before yanking or
changing anyone's address block.

		--karl--