past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 15:03:12 EDT 1997

Larry, Kim and all,

Larry Vaden wrote:

> At 05:02 PM 6/28/97 -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:
> >Jeff,
> >
> >The section of the RFC you are quoting is for end-user assignments, not
> >ISP allocations.  ISPs requesting address space from the InterNIC must
> >show they've efficiently utilized a /19 already in order to justify receiving
> >a /19 or shorter prefix which is the longest prefix that is currently
> >globally routable.
> >
> >One of the first things we would like to accomplish with ARIN is to update
> >the allocation policies in coordination with its members.  If you have any
> >suggestions please send them to the pagan mailing list...pagan at apnic.net.
> >
> >Kim
>
> Kim,
>
> Neither APNIC or RIPE requires prior efficient utilization of a /19 for an
> ISP.  InterNIC does.

  Good point Larry.  Kim or anyone on the Board, is there some
inconsistencies
here?  Seems so.  I have read the RFC2050 so many times I have it nearly
memorized, as well as the ARIN perposal.  I don't find an answer to this
question reguarding Prior eficient utilization of a /19 or any other
type allocation.  Please can you elaborate?  If so, I am sure everyone
on the list and our 800,000 readers of several Internet News sites would
be intrested!  >;)

> What is the authority for doing so?

  Well I aam only guesing, but I would guess the authority comes form
the ARIN board, or will.  and additional question would be, how
durring th transition is the allocation for NEW ISP's to be handled?

> If it is in RFC2050, please point it out `[8-))

  Yes please do!  >;)

> Otherwise, please point out the URL of the real rules.

  Well this is going a bit far Larry.  Let those that are supposed
to be managing this situation have a chance to answer difinitively.

> Sincerely,
>
> ---
>
> Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                  help-desk 903-813-4500
> Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net>    direct 903-870-0365
> Member, Board of Directors, ISP/C                   fax 903-868-8551
> bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland    pager 903-867-6571

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com