past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 09:44:35 EDT 1997

Jon and all,

Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Justin W. Newton wrote:
>
> > The current Internic allocation policy appears to be that you need to
> > utilize 32 Class C's worth of address space effectively before they will
> > assign you a /19 address block.  As it seems that a /19 is currently the
>
> That's not the impression I get from rfc2050.
>
> [direct quote from the rfc]
> ---
> 3.1  Common Registry Requirements
>
>    Because the number of available IP addresses on the Internet is
>    limited, the utilization rate of address space will be a key factor
>    in network number assignment.  Therefore, in the best interest of the
>    Internet as a whole, specific guidelines have been created to govern
>    the assignment of addresses based on utilization rates.
>
>    Although topological issues may make exceptions necessary, the basic
>    criteria that should be met to receive network numbers are listed
>    below:
>
>                 25% immediate utilization rate
>                 50% utilization  rate within 1 year
>
> ---
>
> Based on this, I would think an ISP that is, or is about to be, multihomed
> and is currently completley (and efficiently) using at least a /21 worth
> of IP's and expects to fully utilize a /20 in about 1 year _should_ be
> able to apply for and receive their very own /19.

  I have to agree with Jon's assesment here.  It would seeme exactly
so that if an ISP is multihomed and completley using at least a
/21 worth of IP's and is expecting to use a /20 in about a year
should have no problem with justifying and being granted their very
own /19.  I would make a small proviso here, that being that as to
what is consittuted as "Efficiently Using".  This may have several
interpratations. so I would leave this part out, for the perposes
of definition.  SOme guidelines need to be clarified on this point
IMHO.

>  Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
>  Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
>  Florida Digital Turnpike    |
> ________Finger jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com