past vs future use

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sat Jun 28 13:02:04 EDT 1997

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Justin W. Newton wrote:

> The current Internic allocation policy appears to be that you need to
> utilize 32 Class C's worth of address space effectively before they will
> assign you a /19 address block.  As it seems that a /19 is currently the

That's not the impression I get from rfc2050.

[direct quote from the rfc]
---
3.1  Common Registry Requirements

   Because the number of available IP addresses on the Internet is
   limited, the utilization rate of address space will be a key factor
   in network number assignment.  Therefore, in the best interest of the
   Internet as a whole, specific guidelines have been created to govern
   the assignment of addresses based on utilization rates.

   Although topological issues may make exceptions necessary, the basic
   criteria that should be met to receive network numbers are listed
   below:

                25% immediate utilization rate
                50% utilization  rate within 1 year

---

Based on this, I would think an ISP that is, or is about to be, multihomed
and is currently completley (and efficiently) using at least a /21 worth
of IP's and expects to fully utilize a /20 in about 1 year _should_ be
able to apply for and receive their very own /19.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |
________Finger jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______