The latest

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Thu Jun 26 18:21:48 EDT 1997

On Thursday, June 26, 1997 9:23 AM, Jeff Williams[SMTP:jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com] wrote:
@ Jeffrey A. Williams
@ DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
@ Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
@ Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
@ E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
@

Jeff,

You have to put all of this in a package to understand
what is going on.

J.D. Falk is now[1] with Priori Networks. They are a
new ISP. Priori is like most new ISPs, they need IP
addresses to be able to offer their customers something
more than connections and IP addresses from their "upstream
provider". They understand very well how much it costs
to renumber. I am sure their potential customers also do.

Michael Dillon[2] is also with Priori. Michael was one of
the supporters of the IAHC and one of the people that
helped to convince everyone how bad monopolies are
and that registries should be "shared". I guess he is not
concerned that ARIN appears to want to have a monopoly
on North America.

Michael Dillon is also one of the people that spent an
enormous amount of time telling new ISPs that they
should NOT expect IP address allocations from the
InterNIC and should "go to their upstream provider".

Michael Dillon was also one of the people that
helped develop the material on the ARIN web site.
See....http://www.arin.net/arin_faq.html

NOW...things have changed...Michael, J.D. and Justin
Newton have a new company and THEY need IP
addresses. As you can see below, Michael can't
wait until he can pay to get his ARIN membership.

In theory, the formation of ARIN should not change the
rules about how ISPs obtain IP addresses. Justin
Newton has recently suggested that the rules be
rewritten. Justin used to be with Erols and they were
located in the Virginia area and had an ample supply
of IP addresses. Now Justin finds himself in a new
company without IP addresses.

This situation will be interesting to watch. I have
argued that companies should be given a "short-form"
application to obtain a /18 allocation with the
understanding that they can not fragment it. With
this approach, blocks are kept together and if a new
company goes under a large block is reclaimed.

At the present time there does not seem to be much
effort to reclaim blocks. For example, an ISP in the
Chicago area with a /16 (old Class B) recently went
under, their block will probably be lost in the shuffle.
This is a waste of resources and it is a shame that
companies have to spend all of their time and energy
jumping through hoops to obtain IP addresses when
blocks are wasting away...

Hopefully, Michael, J.D. and Justin will now change
all of this...they have a reason to...their business
depends on these changes...