a 2nd potential solution

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 16 16:00:34 EDT 1997

Larry,

Larry Vaden wrote:

> At 04:35 PM 7/16/97 -0700, Tony Li wrote:
> >
> >   >One should then complain about the behavior of ARIN, in much the same way
> >   >that one would complain about the behavior of a governmental department.
> >
> >   That didn't work with NSI. An unaccountable monopoly is a bad thing.
> >
> >First of all, NSI is hardly an unaccountable monopoly.  It has some
> >supervision and it certainly has customers.  Those who object to the way
> >that NSI was and is run have not yet made a reasonable and effective case
> >against the status quo.  Note that 'yelling louder' or' repeating yourself
> yet
> >again' or 'not listening to others' or 'arguing with me' are neither
> >reasonable nor effective.
>
> One thing that bothers me about the current environment is the continued
> reference to various people as "clueless".  Yet, I read (if memory serves
> correctly) that NSI/InterNIC has billed only 50% of the domains and has cut
> off fully paid domains (no need to read about this part, it happened to us
> `[:((.
>
> It is hard for me to imagine even a die hard old timer supporting a firm
> with such a record.

  Couldn't agree more.

> Thus my suggestion that NAIR might want to use a Big 6 Accounting Firm or a
> firm like EDS to do the back office functions.

  Possibly a big 6 firm.  But I would stay away form EDS if it were
me in their possition, knowing what I do about EDS.  At any rate, there
seems to be several problems that are I am sure obvious to all.  One
is that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  The
other obvious one is that the legal talent is deffinatly lacking.

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com