Confusing Name Space with Address Space a nd Technical routing issues, and the LAND RUSH of '97.

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Wed Jan 29 16:10:41 EST 1997

At 2:07 AM 1/29/97, Mark Richmond wrote:
>< offtopic >
>I am compelled to offer the following observation:
>
>Casual use of the terms 'grok' and / or 'grody' is grounds for immediate
>inclusion in the "internet intelligentsia".
>
>Whether or not this is a *good * thing is up to the observer.

Just for the record, my 14 years as a magazine writer has conditioned me
not to use "in" terms, which is why some people might get the idea that I'm
clueless.  Lack of use of insider-speak should not be an indicator.

Also, the use of insider terms can be used as a way of building a wall
between insiders and the rest of the world, and that rest of the world can
include the sugar daddies who fund the startup of ISPs.  Not a good thing
to separate yourself from your fund sources, eh?

I might ask some of you who use the term "grok" if you know the SOURCE of
the word and its first usage?  (Being an RAH fan, I already know the
answer, and the key words are "Mike" and "Man From Mars".)

>< /offtopic >

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
<http://www.accutek.com/~satchell> for contact and other info
Opinions stated here are my PERSONAL opinions.