Proposed changes to the proposal

Charles T. Smith, Jr. cts at VEC.NET
Mon Jan 27 08:41:59 EST 1997

>I'm still curious as to how a BoT selected committee is the voice of the
>membership.  I would like to recommend the following changes to the
>proposal...
>

>1) It is explicitly stated that after the originally BoT appointed AC's
>terms expire (terms which are not explicitly stated in the current draft)
>the new AC is selected by the members from among member nominated choices.
>(self-nomination is allowed).

I like this, and would suggest taking it a step further:  Than an interim
AC be appointed by the BoT, with a term to expire at the first meeting of
the Arin membership, to be held not more than 3 months from the incorporation
of the organization.  At that meeting, all members of the AC will be up
for election, with one third serving a 1 year term, one third serving a
2 year term, and the remaining serving a 3 year terms.  All future terms
will be for three years.

>3) The originally appointed BoT cannot make any changes to the original
>by-laws (which is what I am assuming this proposal is going to become)
>without a membership vote.  This prevents the BoT from making changes which
>could in effect change all of the progress that has been made in this
>proposal (yes, this proposal is a BIG improvement over the last one).

Agreed.  Though this makes the most sense if the models for BoT and AC
election are set in stone up front, by the bylaws.

>4) A mechanism is added for removing deadwood BoT or AC members who are not
>pulling their load or are acting against the best interests of the membership.
>
>So, what do you all think?

I think this is also reasonable and important.