ARIN Proposal

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Thu Jan 23 22:25:20 EST 1997

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:31:56 -0600 (CST), karl at mcs.net writes:

>Note that *colluding* to create a business practice which penalizes a
>company in this fashion can be seriously ugly if someone decides to chase
>it.  If you create these situations, you're ASKING to be chased, and if you
>do so in a collusive format you're asking for the Government to get involved.
>
>This is an *very ungood* thing.
>
>I WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO ANY SUCH ORGANIZATION.  I don't want to end up
>being named in a RICO suit, and that's PRECISELY the concern that I have
>in this regard.
>
>This is really orthogonal to ARIN, except that ARIN could be used in this
>way, and if it is, then the MEMBERS can end up being assaulted in this
>fashion.  It is in EVERYONE'S best interest to make sure that doesn't happen
>by having ARIN be completely above question when it comes to policy matters,
>board constitution, etc.

This is starting to sound more and more like a conspiracy theory.

The only "business practice" here is that clueless ISPs are doomed to
failure. But then, that's a law of nature, and not specific to the
Internet.

>> Then those ISPs that made those mis-representations are going to have
>> to live with the repercussions, aren't they?
>>
>> The last paragraph of section 5.3 of RFC 2008 states:
>>
>> [ excerpt clipped for brevity ]
>>
>> Seems to me that RFC 2008 recognizes the need for renumbering.
>
>Did you READ all of 2008?  Try this portion of RFC2008:
>
> [excerpt clipped for brevity]
>
>Note that this document EXPLICITLY acknowledges that HISTORICALLY it has
>always been ASSUMED AND PRACTICED that address blocks are *OWNED* by those
>to whom they are delegated.
>
>You can change things going forward with BCPs and the like.  BUT YOU MUST
>RECOGNIZE THE PAST AND THE RELIANCE THAT PEOPLE HAVE PLACED ON THOSE PAST
>POLICIES.  If you fail to do so, you WILL run into trouble.  Guaranteed.

The key word there is ASSUMED. The only people that will get are the
customer and the clueless ISP that made promises that they couldn't
keep.

You seem to be implying that the misguided promises of clueless ISPs
should be honored by the Internet community (to the detriment of the
Internet community). Perhaps I've read your statements wrong, so
please clarify if that is not the case.

>How quickly did 7513s show up in PRODUCTION?  Didn't we hear this SAME
>argument in 1993 when the AGS+ was falling over, and again in 1995 when the
>7000/SSP2 was falling over?
>
>Heh, wait a second.  That was twice in three years that everyone went out,
>unloaded and repurchased MILLIONS OF DOLLARS worth of Bay and CISCO hardware.

Replacing Bay with Bay and Cisco with Cisco is not comparable to
replacing with Brand X. I forgot to mention all of the money network
operators have tied up in Bay and/or Cisco training.

>> So for the short term (on the order of 2-3 years, at least), we are
>> stuck with ARIN or something ARIN-like because we need to limit the
>> growth of the global routing table.
>>
>> There will be fees of some sort because the people that work for ARIN
>> won't work for free and they need computers and ofice supplies, etc.
>
>Why do you assume I'm opposed to ARIN?  I've not made that statement
>anywhere in this discussion.

Not directly you haven't, but the general tone of your statements has
led me to believe that you opposed ARIN.

[A copy of the headers and the PGP signature follow.]