Just Bizness

jamie dyer jamie at comet.net
Wed Jan 22 23:28:19 EST 1997

 As a small ISP, IP addresses are a resource we try to use
economically, i.e. use to make money, or at least not lose it.
I have some problems with the ARIN proposal as it's stated now
on the website, but overall it's not a huge deal.
 If we (comet.net) were to theoretically "rent" a /24 as individual static
IPs, we'd be charging more in a month than ARIN does in a year. $10 a
pop is our rate, maybe more or less in other areas. If a network
has the wherewithall to maintain a PI block of /x, they
can scrape up the cash to pay for the /x. IOW, if you're going to lose
money on it, you didn't need it anyway.
 I'm glad to hear Section 1.1 of the proposal is getting rewritten.
Many thanks to the folks who are working on the proposal and listening to
the unwashed, snivelling masses (us).
 I hope we can see the non-profit charter at some point. I'm sure
it'd garner its own NG. alt.flame.non-profit.
 Back to your regularly scheduled spam.

jamie
jamie at comet.net |          Comet.Net            |  Send empty message
                |     Charlottesville, Va.      |  to pgpkey at comet.net
                |        (804)295-2407          |  for pgp public key.
                |     http://www.comet.net      |
            "History is one damn thing after another." -Churchill