ARIN Proposal

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Wed Jan 22 11:36:55 EST 1997

> > > For any ISP that sells any of those "tied" services, any move which makes it
> > > un-feasible (and by that I mean any event which causes SIGNIFICANT barriers
> > > to entry to be raised) is IMHO a per-se anti-trust problem, at least in the
> > > United States.
> >
> >       I think it's a technical fact of life.
> >
> >       If you move, you have to notify your friends, change your mailing
> > address everywhere it appears, change your phone number, maybe drive
> > further to work, and so on and so forth. Is this grounds for an action
> > against your landlord?
> >
> >       DS
>
> That's not the analog here.
>
> If you move, *I* don't have to change *MY* phone number.

Karl, any of us who have been through one or more area code renumbering
instances knows this is not true. It can happen, it does happen, just the
Internet has smaller prefixes. Forced by at outside organization to change
with no recourse or cost recovery. It just so happens that the people
making the decisions are almost always an arm of the state government.

Jerry