ARIN Proposal

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Tue Jan 21 12:16:47 EST 1997

At 09:42 AM 1/21/97 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:

>Clearly it is not a level playing field -- it is an unlevel playing
>field, designed to promote a certain hierarchical structure, motivated
>by perceived technological limitations.

This is not a 'perceived' limitation, it is fact. This has
been hashed out in innumerable discussions within the IETF;
I have no stomach to reiterate them again here.

>Other approaches are possible, but the consequences are thought to be
>bad -- for example, you could charge a single flat fee per address per
>year.  It is thought that the result of such a policy is that the
>backbone routers would melt, or something similar, and the internet
>would become unusable..  OTOH, it would create much stronger pressures
>for improved router technology and perhaps accelerate a migration to
>IPv6.

IPv6 solves no problems in this regard. I would venture to say
that this, itself, is a 'perceived technological' solution. It
is not.

- paul