Scaling ARIN proposal for small ISPs - and economic reality

David Hakala dhakala at ossinc.net
Wed Jan 22 00:01:54 EST 1997

-- [ From: David Hakala * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Your analysis has a few fundamental flaws.

A "few?" Egad, I must have been inadvertently sober. :)

> 1.  Most startup ISP's will never deal with the Internic directly.  They
will
> get their addresses from their upstream providers and only see the trickle
down

I keep hearing this, and I keep asking what sense it makes for me to buy my
most vital resource from my competitors. Just because this is how it *has*
been doesn't mean it should continue to be so. If ARIN charges fees based on
individual IP addresses, it could become the truly neutral party in this
scenario.

> 2.  The price is not for the IP addresses, its for the act of registering
the
> addresses.  It will not be possible for someone to walk in and purchase IP
> addresses without having technical justifications for needing them.

I fail to see a pragmatic distinction, unless you're saying that I can be
willing and able to license addresses (I've studiously avoided the term
"buy") and ARIN could still refuse a license for reasons it need not have or
reveal. That possibility REALLY scares me!

> 3.  The prices are skewed so that it is much more likely that the Mom &
Pop ISP
> will want to get the better prices and go with their upstream provider to
keep
> block asssignments routing entries minimized.

I don't get it - how are the prices my upstream provider charges guaranteed
to be lower than those that ARIN charges?

--
David Hakala
Editor In Chief
dhakala at ossinc.net