Comments on ARIN proposal

Mark Richmond markr at LIGHTSPEED.NET
Tue Jan 21 08:59:20 EST 1997

Paul:
TANSTAAFL.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

When will we be able to agree that costs will ALWAYS be passed along?
Whether or not I get my block from ARIN, at some point the numbers came from there, with the fee attached.

Are you aware of any Large ISP's or other philantropic organizations that might pay that fee so that a small or medium-sized ISP could make a bigger profit?  Me either.

----------
From:   Paul Ferguson[SMTP:pferguso at cisco.com]
One issue which you may not be aware of, is that the allocation-based
fees only apply to organizations which obtain their IP address allocations
directly from ARIN; as per RFC2050, organizations should always be obtaining
their addresses from their upstream provider(s) & will be virtually unaffected
by this proposal.

- paul