Membership Fee

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jan 20 17:47:18 EST 1997

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:03:22 PST, Jerry Scharf said:
> I, for one, think this is totally unreasonable. The people actually getting
> addresses from ARIN will probably be in the few hundred range. If thousands of
> people are financially encouraged to be able to vote on the funding issues,
> the people footing the bills loose their voice. I don't want to make this
> sound like a club, but it is for the people who get services from ARIN, not
> for steering allocation policies or fee structures by outside organizations.
>
> We're not in a governemtnal situation here, there must be somre reflection of
> the size of the players. IMO. I don't deserve the same size vote as MCI or
> UUNet even if I get addresses from ARIN.

I admit being a tad confoozled here.  Your second paragraph implies you
think you should have *some* voice, but the first one seems to say that
only the big players need apply.

Personally, I think there *does* need to be some sort of support for
"the little guy".  Let's play a little thought experiment...

Where do you define "the big dogs"?  Right now, there's only a small
handful of *big* long-haul people (MCI, Sprint, BBN, and the like, sorry if
I missed anybody ;).  What if "they" get defined as "only the big players
need apply"?

Only thing I'll add here is one word:  Microsoft.

Enough said.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer