ARIN Proposal

Michael D. Bathrick prez at berkshire.net
Mon Jan 20 14:40:07 EST 1997

I have to agree with David - the fees posted will do nothing but hurt the
small ISP, many of whom are running on the hairy edge of existance.  We
were never consulted when Network Solutions chose to impose a domain
registration fee - but at least that fee was within reason.  The fees
currently proposed are outrageous.

Though I agree that the IP registration may be warranted, ANY pricing
this high is anti-competitive and can make the difference between success
and failure for a small company struggling in a competitive environment
such as the ISP is now facing.  The very fact that this has been taking
place in a nearly 'secret' manner (in other words - without those whom
this plan will affect the most being notified - much like the decision to
charge domain registration was made) points to a group of folks who don't
care what the effect of their decisions will produce.

The pricing for this service MUST be brought down to a level that the
average 'mom & pop' ISP can deal with.  Else expect a major problem with
getting the folks you are regulating to co-operate.

Mike

Michael D. Bathrick     |  150 North Street        |  prez at berkshire.net
President               |  Suite 23                |  Voice: 413-442-7805
BerkshireNet            |  Pittsfield, MA 01201    |  Fax:   413-442-7909