Reject the NAIPR

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Sun Jan 19 04:22:30 EST 1997

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

> We're talking about prices based on what? Actual data? Real life discussion
> with the folks who make their living with IP space? Or did we just pull
> prices out of our ass and throw them on a web page? A good economist would
> have done quite a bit more research before throwing something that pathetic
> and disrespectful up and saying 'here it is, live with it'.

Maybe the web page didn't make it very clear, but the context of this list
has certainly made it clear that the suggested pricing is only a first
draft proposal. No one is yet saying "here it is, live with it". ARIN
isn't cast in stone yet and the fact that the whole proposal has been
placed before the public for discussion is something that we should be
thanking the people at IANA and NSI for.

> You must be one of those folks I thought didn't exist, we call them
> optomists. The reality of the situation is, in my opinion, that those 'fat
> cats' I spoke of will simply abuse this and use it as a way to generate even
> more profit. Folks like sprint, MCI, Agis, netcom, etc, they're here for one
> reason, and one reason only, and thats to make money. Any excuse they can
> use to make more money.. they'll use. I've not been around as long as many
> of the folks around her, but I've been around long enough to watch how the
> big providers will screw you without a second thought. Any philanthropic
> dreams you may have, you can keep, but don't you believe for a second that
> it won't be abused.

This may be true. But nevertheless these "fat cats" do not have a monopoly
on IPv4 address space. There are approximately 300 organizations that are
large enough to get their addresses from the Internic already. To me this
indicates that competitive forces will limit any negative actions from the
larger NSP's who might mistakenly see IP addresses as a profit center.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049