Reject the NAIPR

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Sat Jan 18 21:37:20 EST 1997

[not particularly related to NAIPR, apologies in advance, hit 'd' now]

Tim,

>If you cannot substantiate your polemics with good logical
>arguments, with a basis and solid metrics, etc., please do
>not resort to the lowly technique of implying those
>whom you disagree with are somehow 'crackpots'.

>From you, this is quite amusing.  You seem to take a position that
there is a grand conspiracy between ISPs, router vendors, and what you
call "the self-styled elite" to keep the Internet from using the
"proper routing paradigm" which presumably has been bestowed upon you
by whatever diety you believe in.

Perhaps instead of mass conspiracies, the truth is more along the
lines that critical mass can be more important than technical
excellence (see Beta vs. VHS, MS-DOS vs. almost anything, etc) and
that the existing Internet has evolved into what it is with the warts
evolution implies because it worked better than the alternatives and
people kept hacking on it until it did what they want.

The current routing paradigm and the registry system is a product of
that evolution and hacking and while I am the first to admit neither
are perfect, they do provide required services.  Unfortunately, in the
case of the registry system, for those services to be provided, human
beings must be in the loop and, being human, they prefer to eat.  As
such, they must get paid and ARIN is all about how those human beings
can get paid so they can eat and thereby provide required services.

ARIN is not about enthroning the "self-styled elite" or crushing the
downtrodden masses under the steel boot of BGP.

If you have an alternative solution to address allocation that can be
deployed which makes the Internet registry system unnecessary, please
expose it to the light of day instead of harping on how mistreated you
were by the people in CIDRD.

Regards,
-drc

P.S. When you're at Border's looking at economic textbooks, please
look up "Tragedy of the Commons" and review the classical solutions to
that problem and think how they apply to Internet resource allocation.