Reject the NAIPR

Erik R. Leo erikl at sover.net
Sat Jan 18 09:56:49 EST 1997

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> [...AOP encourging members to complain about ARIN...]
>
> This type of form-letter bombardment of this mailing list is extremely
> annoying. This is not to say that constructive criticism & discussion
> on the proposal is unwelcome, but it would be most appreciated if
> folks would take a few moments to familiarize themselves with the
> proposal before flooding the list with their dissenting messages.
>
> - paul
>
> At 07:59 AM 1/17/97 -0000, Mark Richmond wrote:
>
> > [...example AOP member "dissenting message"...]

        We happen to be a member of the AOP (probably not for much
longer).  I've enclosed a copy of their original (corrected) "alert" and
my (completely inadequate) response to it.  AOP doesn't seem to do much
polling of their membership before deciding on their stance :(.  But they
did mention the ARIN web-site.

        Someone with a little more time on their hands may want to take a
shot at a point-by-point rebuttal of AOP's "concerns."

-Erik
--
Erik R. Leo, Net Worker       SoVerNet
Tel:    +1(802)463-2111       Vermont's Sovereign Internet Connection

> [...]
> addresses.  The new entity would replace the government- sponsored
> InterNIC IP group.  Companies who wish to participate in policy-making
> as members of the group would pay an additional $1,000 per year.
>
> Information regarding the proposal may be found at
> http://www.arin.net.
>
> The Association of Online Professionals has serious concerns about the
> proposal, and urges all North American Internet service providers and
> their subscribers to oppose the measure until these concerns are
> addressed:
>
> **  There is no indication in the proposal as to why the fees are
>     needed.
>
> **  The proposed non-profit has no published goals, mission or other
>     information beyond its structure and fees.
>
> **  The fee structure will cost the industry millions of dollars,
>     yet there is no information as to how the money will be spent or
>     how it will benefit the Internet.
>
> **  The assertions that the fees would not affect subscribers are
>     incorrect, as these fees would have to be passed on to consumers.
>
> **  The assertions that ISPs can afford the fees as a cost of
>     doing business reflects a poor understanding of the current
>     economics of Internet access services.  The proposed fee structure
>     would have a devastating effect on small ISPs as well as non-
>     profit, hobbyist and public access providers.
>
> **  It is unclear under what authority Network Solutions would impose
>     the fees.  The Internet exists as a public resource, and as such
>     should not be subjected to the arbitrary control of any small
>     group of individuals or entities.
>
> AOP has generally supported efforts to bring organization and
> structure to the Internet, including the imposition of fees to cover
> the cost of assigning and maintaining domain names.
>
> However, AOP cannot support the current proposal until more
> information is provided and a meaningful dialogue established to
> ensure that the proposal is more than an attempt to wrest control of
> the Internet for a select group of self-proclaimed authorities.
>
> Please do the following immediately:
>
> 1)  Contact InterNIC with a request that the proposal not be
> implemented.
>
>     Comments are being taken only on the Internic listserv.  To make
>     comments, you must first join the listserv by sending mail to
>     listserv at internic.net with SUBSCRIBE NAIPR in the body. You may
>     then post comments to naipr at internic.net.
>
> 2)  Urge your subscribers and business associates to reject the
> proposal.
>

> AOP will make every effort to obtain answers to the questions raised,
> and will strive for meaningful conversations with Network Solutions on
> these issues.  If you have comments that would help us build a
> consensus for these discussions, please direct them to exec at aop.org.
> Dave McClure                       (703) 924-9692   (703) 924-9594 Fax
> Executive Director                 (703) 264-1750 BBS   Telnet aop.org

and my response to AOP: