How costs will trickle down (if ARIN goes through)

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Fri Jan 17 15:34:19 EST 1997

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:

> @ ARIN will manage whatever address space is delegated to it by IANA.
>
> Will that be a /8 or a /16 ?

The point is that nobody cares whether it is a /8 or a /16 or any other
netblock size. When ARIN runs short of address space, they talk to IANA
about it. After consulations IANA gives them more.

> Have the applications been posted that ARIN submitted
> to the IANA to obtain IPv4 Address Space and Registry rights ?

Nobody submits applications to IANA. You are under the misconception that
IANA is some sort of aloof, remote bureaucracy that requires proper forms
in triplicate. This is not the case. There is a darn good reason why
people refer to the "Internet community" all the time in these sorts of
discussions. That's because it *IS* a community and decisions are reached
through a consultative process where everyone bounces ideas around and
tries to find a workable solution through consensus.

> What form was used ?

There are no forms. The only thing I can possibly see IANA using forms for
would be SNMP MIB registrations because there are so many.

> Is the IANA accepting additional applications ?
> Is there an application fee ?

Obviously the answer is "no" to both of these. Your silly questions do
nothing but confuse the media who are trying to understand what is going
on here.

> @ >         2. Does ARIN intend to cultivate the education of additional
> @ >                 registries ?
> @
> @ The only other IP registrie4s that ARIN will cultivate will be IP
> @ registries for the continents of South America and Africa. Once those
> @ registries are actually operational they will be equals with ARIN, APNIC
> @ and RIPE with all 5 getting IP allocations from IANA.

> That is good news....
>
> You are obviously much more in touch with what is going
> on with ARIN than most people...
>
> Do you work for Network Systems, Inc. ?

No. I just pay attention to what people say and I try to put aside my own
preconcieved notions of how things operate in order to more clearly see
what is there. You would be well advised to start doing the same.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049