Multihoming sites and ARIN

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Tue Feb 25 01:30:39 EST 1997

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:46:01 PST, Kent Crispin said:
> Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU allegedly said:
> > On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:45:34 EST, marshall eubanks said:
> > > This could be done automatically, and
> > > would not EXCLUDE anyone, or even really
> > > censor them. After all, you can always provide a URL if
> > > you want people to see your latest ideas
> > > in full.
>
> But by the very fact that they are on a mailing list, they can say
> "email me for more information", can they not?  I think Marshall has
> a great idea...

I was specifically addressing "you can always provide a URL".
And yes, I was aware of services such as Geocities' "free web pages".
This doesn't mean that *everybody* is in a position to utilize
them - some people may be either technologically unable to use
them. Can you update a Geocities page via e-mail? How do you *check*
that you got it right if you don't have a browser handy? I don't
have one on the machine here in my basement I'm telnetting from
(A Vaxstation 3100, about 5.8M of free disk after loading Ultrix,
no Netscape, no Mosaic, the machine is *not* globally routable (don't
ask why ;) - bottom line is that if I'm at home, writing E-mail
is doable, but posting it to a web site is a major pain in the ass.

And although there are probably plenty of people who wish that
Jim Fleming just posted a URL for his latest missives, the fact
remains that quite often, if a well thought out idea is presented
in-line, I'll take the time to read it, but if I have to wait
for Netscape to go *get* it, I'll think twice, and if Netscape
*cant* get it, I'll almost *certainly* fail to ever come back and
try again in an hour or two.

Remeber that Fermat's Last Theorem was basically "I have a great
idea that's too long to scribble here" - and the lack of a pointer
to a good copy started a 400-year flamefest amongst mathematicians
that I believe was finally resolved in the last year or 3.. ;')
I'm not sure if the resulting work in mathematics is a case for
or against including inline though - would it have been as interesting
if it *had* fit in the margin, but been obviously wrong?

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer
				Virginia Tech