Let's just go around in circles, shall we?

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Mon Feb 3 15:19:59 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997 Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU wrote:

> I fully agree with that statement.  However, could somebody
> please elucidate to me what ARIN's legal exposure is in giving
> out a prefix longer than /19, when they know that *current* practice
> will render it unrouted from many locations?

How could there possibly be any legal exposure when ARIN issues a
disclaimer that receiving a globally unique IP address block from them
does not guarantee any sort of routability? Didn't you notice Scott
Bradner's message about the IP address blocks used for testing equipment?
Or SAP's use of globally unique addresses that never hit the net? The
registries give out unique addresses whether you want to use them on the
public Internet or not.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049