Let us all bend over, apply the Vaseline...

David R. Conrad davidc at APNIC.NET
Wed Apr 30 23:41:14 EDT 1997

Sigh.

Anyone have a script that would periodically resend each
message in the ARIN archives sequentially?   We could cycle
them about once every couple of months -- it appears to be
the frequency the same "discussions" keep coming up...

>Today it will be $2500, which I already consider ridiculously high.

OK, let's see your projected budget figures...

>Tomorrow what will it be?

Well, if ARIN is modeled after RIPE and APNIC (it is), and RIPE has
already lowered its prices (APNIC is still stabilizing itself so we
haven't followed suit yet), I figure it is a safe assumption that ARIN
prices will be adjusted to whatever situation ARIN finds itself in.

>The idea of paying such a high recurring cost for IP space is absurd
>and only goes to justify a bloated $3M annual budget.

How else do you expect us to maintain our black helicopters?  Bloody
things are expensive, dontcha know...

Actually, I think it'd be fun if ARIN were to start the same way APNIC
did -- just think: NSI starts forwarding address requests to the one
or two people who replace NSI's current staff of a dozen or so people.
Requests processing times exponentiate, people threaten lawsuits, ISPs
lose customers, an eIAR clique is formed, net.politicians make long
speeches and get into "fascinating" flame wars, ITU decides it needs
to be involved, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Just imagine the gigabytes of email that'll be generated!!  I froth
at the mouth in anticipation.

However, as fun as that might be, it may be _slightly_ more practical
for the team that current supports Internet addresss allocations to
organizations in the areas currently served by InterNIC to continue in
that function as ARIN is started up.  Also, since I believe the team
at NSI is supported by various people within NSI who won't be moving
to ARIN (software engineers, system admins, etc.), ARIN will need to
find some of those also.

Of course, I'm *sure* those folk will be more than happy to take
serious reductions in pay, after all, they're doing this for the "good
of the Internet" -- .30 cents per address per _year_ is OBVIOUSLY an
inconceivable burden.  My god, it means charging an additional US
$0.03 per month for dialup customers.  I can't imagine how ISPs in
Armenia, Bangladesh, China, ..., Zaire manage it.

>I'm not suggesting that the IP registery remain with NSI either. But knowing
>the potential for large organization to dominate a function like ARIN and
>use it to further ensure a controlling market position doesn't help
>me sleep well either.

Then take a sedative.  Or read the documents on ARIN's structure again
(probably the same effect... :-)).

Regards,
-drc