Global council of registries???

Randy Bush randy at PSG.COM
Tue Apr 29 14:00:00 EDT 1997

> You want ARIN to be the IP address police?  My feeling about address
> assignment is very similar to building permits.  You have to go through the
> approval process and meet the current regulations, but one your building
> permit is granted then the government shouldn't be able to require you to
> rewire your house every few years as the wiring code change.

In general I agree.  But I would note that, if a wiring practice is found
to be extremely dangerous to the public, the Fire Department (not the city
planning department) may mandate change.  The case in point is CIDR, which
was not an act of the registries but rather the IETF and other operator
venues and the ISPs whose routers were endangered.  I suspect that the
registries found CIDR to be a pain in the butt from their point of view.

We have met the net.police, and them is us.

randy