Global council of registries???

Philip J. Nesser II pjnesser at MARTIGNY.AI.MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 21:31:31 EDT 1997

Rudolph J. Geist supposedly said:

> > Can you provide information regarding your last statement?  Who has been
> > descriminated against?  Bear in mind that companies who apply for space
> > regularly have a much better chance of submitting a complete application
> > with all of the needed details than someone doing it for the first time.
> > The IP address allocations are codified as an RFC (I forget the number off
> > the top of my head, RFC2050 maybe?), so once again who has not been treated
> > fairly?  I don't ask this as a rhetorical question, I really want to know
> > specifics.
> >
> > --->  Phil
>
> Just ask any small or mid-sized company that has requested address space
> in the past 9 months, no matter how much money is behind the company, or
> what kind of business plans they have.  They all get the same runaround
> from Internic.  Internic states that a company may only obtain address
> space if it has a history of efficiently utilizing IPs.  But how the
> heck can you have a history if you can't get any from Internic?  The
> response to this question is not that these ISPS should get it from
> their upstream provider - and be subject to later renumbering - or the
> loss of the IPs during a merger or buy-out, or any other such case.

As much as it is disliked, provider based aggregation is what keeps the net
operating right now and is the current accepted policy.  I am talking about
unfairly applying the rules between two companies.  (BTW the ARIN proposal
does call for a slight easing of the restriction.)

Whether its a bad or a good thing, people who were involved earlier in the
Internet have some advantages over new players.  Its a sad but true fact.
The reasons that drive it are technical in nature, not capricious or
discriminiatory as some would claim.  I would have loved to have bought
Microsoft stock in 1986 at a few dollars a share, but if I want to buy it
now I have to pay 115 (or whatever it closed at today).  The analagy is
rough since IP address space isn't sold but given away if it is being
efficiently used.

--->  Phil