Global council of registries???

Philip J. Nesser II pjnesser at MARTIGNY.AI.MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 18:25:05 EDT 1997

Rudolph J. Geist supposedly said:
> Philip J. Nesser II wrote:
> > Just to be clear, I also support a model that allows outside audit of the
> > allocation process which is why I support ARIN.  I don't believe that the
> > process should be completely open to the public (the finances yes, but not
> > technical applications) because the information requested may be considered
> > proprietary by many organizations.
> >
> > --->  Phil
>

> It is highly suspicious to maintain that technical information (or any
> information for that matter) regarding the allocation of IP address
> blocks, a finite public resource (like telephone numbers or radio
> spectrum), should be held proprietary by a monopoly outgrowth (ARIN) of
> another monolpoly (Internic).

There are numerous other situations which information is kept in
confidence from the general public.  We need to encourage companies to
provide accurate technical plans, including expected growth.  Much of this
information could include items like new construction, introduction into
new business areas, etc. which could cause companies considerable financial
distress if leaked early.  Given the choice of having:

1.  The technical details private and regularly audited by an outside firm
(much like corporations have their finaincial statements audited) and
getting accurate information; or

2.  Having every evaluation open to public review and companies providing
inaccurate information or sueing the registration body when something gets
leaked.

I would definitely support option 1.

> This type of statement is exactly why so many in the Internet industry
> are so concerned about the ARIN proposal, and the exisiting IP
> allocation "guidelines," which frankly are about as consistent and
> unambiguous when applied to any company or entity that applies other
> than one of the "big twenty" as summer thunder storms in Miami.

Can you provide information regarding your last statement?  Who has been
descriminated against?  Bear in mind that companies who apply for space
regularly have a much better chance of submitting a complete application
with all of the needed details than someone doing it for the first time.
The IP address allocations are codified as an RFC (I forget the number off
the top of my head, RFC2050 maybe?), so once again who has not been treated
fairly?  I don't ask this as a rhetorical question, I really want to know
specifics.

--->  Phil