Global council of registries???

Rudolph J. Geist rgeist at wahl.com
Mon Apr 28 18:12:32 EDT 1997

> > On Monday, April 28, 1997 11:25 AM, Philip J. Nesser II[SMTP:pjnesser at martigny.ai.mit.edu] wrote:
> > @
> > @ Lets have some facts based in truth and not conspiracy whispers.
> > @
> > @ --->  Phil
> > @
> >
> > Can you explain the @Home allocation ?
> >

> Not that I did the evaluation or anything, but the way I understand it was
> they presented extensive details both engineering and financial (only to
> prove they had the backing to implement their technical plan) for a system
> to provide IP access to millions of homes throught their cable partners,
> but even then they only recieved a /14 when they requested something
> larger.  It was taken from part of the class A space so they could request
> more space as needed and still have a contiguous block, much the same as is
> done for every other ISP.
>
> I trust that the people evaluating the application did a fair jobs at
> evaluating their request.
>
> Just to be clear, I also support a model that allows outside audit of the
> allocation process which is why I support ARIN.  I don't believe that the
> process should be completely open to the public (the finances yes, but not
> technical applications) because the information requested may be considered
> proprietary by many organizations.
>
> --->  Phil

It is highly suspicious to maintain that technical information (or any
information for that matter) regarding the allocation of IP address
blocks, a finite public resource (like telephone numbers or radio
spectrum), should be held proprietary by a monopoly outgrowth (ARIN) of
another monolpoly (Internic).

This type of statement is exactly why so many in the Internet industry
are so concerned about the ARIN proposal, and the exisiting IP
allocation "guidelines," which frankly are about as consistent and
unambiguous when applied to any company or entity that applies other
than one of the "big twenty" as summer thunder storms in Miami.