[Iana-transition] NRO Proposal for consolidation of RIR regional inputs into single ICG response

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Fri Oct 17 13:51:10 EDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 5:51 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2014, at 4:52 PM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
>> 2/3rds agreement amongst these 15 is all that is needed to call any
>> proposal consensus. Add to that 1/3 of the panel is composed by RIR
>> staff.  Can someone confirm that the RIR staff on this team are voting
>> members of the 15?
> Interesting question... what do you propose?

I have suggested we use the members of the NRO NC.  You appear not to
agree with that suggestion, and that is fine.  I'd certainly like others
to post on the same topic if they happen to agree with me.

Assuming we go forward with this plan as currently outlined, I'd like to
see that those who judge consensus on this team should all be community
members.

>> This process is starting to not look very bottom up to me.
>>
>> We have a sitting body, the NRO NC, which was elected/appointed by each
>> of the RIR constituencies to represent each region.  Why aren't they
>> being considered a valid group to perform this function (of judging
>> consensus) in an open and transparent manner?
> This team will have to work on a expedited basis on a topic
> which is not number resource policy (that which the NRO NC
> representatives were elected for...)  I will note, having
> observed that NRO NC/ASO AC since inception, that it is a
> remarkably diligent council, but is not particularly brisk
> due to its fairly rigorous methods.

I only suggested that the members of the NRO NC were an appropriate
group to judge consensus during this process. I am well aware that the
current global policy process is very slow moving.  The members of this
team could certainly choose their own method for reviewing and moving
forward with this proposal.

>> Are there conflicts that the NRO NC would have by performing in this
>> role?  Or maybe we need a separate group completely separate from the
>> NRO/ASO?  How the members of this team are chosen is important if we
>> believe it will be hard to achieve consensus quickly on a submission to
>> the ICG.
> How do you believe they should they be chosen in the ARIN region?

Given the restrictive timeline, my only suggestion would be to take
volunteers from the community and then choose by lot or vote of the AC.

Andrew