[dbwg] FWD: Suggestions regarding X.509 authentication process

Tim Christensen timc at arin.net
Tue Apr 8 17:17:21 EDT 2003

Message forwarded from non-dbwg subscriber follows.
As a point of order, if you desire to discuss the issue with Owen, it is
appropriate for the discussion to occur on dbwg for the benefit of all
subscribers; I am notifying Owen thusly.

Tim

Based on the discussion at today's ARIN meeting and an off-line
discussion with Tim Christensen (sp?), I'd like to suggest the
following for the DBWG...

In the process of implementing X.509 authentication, I think it is
highly desirable to have the following:

        +       Plan for implementing web-based submissions using X.509
                authentication as an alternative to emailed templates.
                Preferably, this would be an HTTPS transaction.

        +       Provide a web interface for users to fill-out, generate,
                and submit their CSR to ARIN.  There should be no need for
                the end user to posess the means to generate a CSR.  This
                wouldn't preclude email submission for users that do, but
                it would make it more convenient for those that don't
(and,
                for many that do, it will simplify conformance of their
                CSR to ARIN's requirements.)

If you want to involve me in further discussion of THIS issue, please
CC me, as I am not subscribed to DBWG.

Thanks,

Owen DeLong
owen at delong.com