Lame Delegations

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Jan 15 22:56:19 EST 2002

 find this uncomfortable for a couple of reasons:

	there are known problems with threading on some platforms
	which will exihibit this type of behaviour (which is why
	ther eis a "no-threads" option available in BIND but it
	is not the default).

	you get thsi behaviour with a mismatch between one-answer and
	many-answers.

	the Internet is increasingly abandoning the e2e model. what
	presumptions are you making that your monitoring machine will
	not be blocked by firewalls or that the prefix will even be
	carried to everywhere on the net? (this is the in-addr.arpa
	zone your are talking about, not just the data in the arin region)

	the stated purpose is to reduce stress on the servers and traffic
	overall. it would be useful to validate the assumption that
	there is stress and excess traffic. Can we see real numbers
	regarding query rates and what percentage of queries are
	these "requeries"

	More later.