Specific Schedule for Whois Rollout

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Thu Aug 15 12:00:40 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Dave Barger wrote:

> Regarding the timeline for the Whois and template conversion,
> I have a few questions:
>
> Thursday, August 22
>          Last Day to Submit Current Templates
> Friday, August 23
>          New Templates Accepted. Current Templates
>          No Longer Accepted.
> Friday, August 23 through Sunday, August 25
>          All mail is queued for hostmaster and reassign role accounts
>          Phone service will be available 7 AM - 7 PM Friday
>          All other email accounts will remain in service
>          No updates to WHOIS or in-addr.arpa will take place
>
> 1.  What are the specific times that you will stop accepting current
>          templates, and start accepting new templates?

On Friday, August 23, Registration Services will be processing any of the
old templates that were received up until midnight on Thursday, August 22.
Any of the old templates that are received while mail is being queued will
not be accepted.

New templates will be accepted anytime after 12:01 AM, Friday August 23.
They will be queued throughout the weekend, and throughout the weekend,
will be processed either Sunday or Monday.

> 2.  Are you using the timestamp on the emails to determine whether
>          to accept/deny a template?

Yes.

> 3.  Are all times based on Eastern time?

Yes.

> 4.  I'm assuming that no templates will be processed from Friday to
>          midnight Sunday.  Is this correct?

Both Registration Services and Engineering will be working over the
weekend to process any and all templates received.

> 5.  Will Whois be available for queries Friday-Sunday?

Yes. We will be generating the existing WHOIS on Friday to include any of
the old templates that are received Thursday evening. This version will be
available all weekend long.

> Thanks.
>
> Dave Barger
> Director - Network Engineering IP Management
> SBC Internet Services

Ginny Listman and Leslie Nobile
Directors
ARIN