Adminstrative Contact

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Wed Apr 24 08:30:30 EDT 2002

During the recent Member Meeting there was much discussion about
displaying the various POCs in WHOIS. There was strong sentiment against
displaying the adminstrative contacts. Much of this was due to the fact
that ARIN is strongly encouraging that the admin be a real person, with a
personal email address (versus role accounts). There was also some debate
on whether or not to display the technical contacts, which may or may not
be a role.

Does limiting the display of the POCs that are responsible for the
resource go against the spirit of RFC 2050?  It reads, "Registration:
Provision of a public registry documenting address space allocation and
assignment. This is necessary to ensure uniqueness and to provide
information for Internet trouble shooting at all levels."

The proposed design of WHOIS will only display the administrative contact
for an org query.  In other words, when querying an AS number or network,
the admin is not displayed. The data would be stored in WHOIS, but you
would need to know to look to the org to get it.  Is this the model that
we should be implementing, or completely remove the admin so that only
ARIN staff can display it internally?

Once we know the direction of the admin POC, I will pose questions
regarding the technical contact.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering
ARIN