2 questions

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Thu Dec 21 15:03:50 EST 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, David R Huberman wrote:

> > 2.  Right now both ASes and Networks have handles and names.  Ideally, the
> > handle should be NET- or ASN- name.  We would like to do some clean-up so
> > that all resources would be the same.  Get rid of an ASNBLK- or NETBLK-,
> > as well as NETBLK-NET- and the like.  Does anyone have a problem with ARIN
> > possible changing your AS or Net handle/name?  Cathy Murphy will be
> > running a report to see how many people this will actually affect.
>
> * Are you talking about parent blocks only, or all registration objects?
>   I certainly like the idea of streamlining the database objects of
>   netname/handle for parent IP address objects and for AS registrations,
>   but changing any portion of downstream assignments has the potential
>   of creating havoc with many providers' SWIP scripts. Please clarify
>
> /david

The registration software will prepend NET- to the network name provided
on the template to get the handle.  However, some customers use a net name
like NET-FOOBAR.  What we want to do is call the net name FOOBAR, and call
the handle NET-FOOBAR not NET-NET-FOOBAR.  Also, there are a bunch of
names/handles that have NETBLK- or ASNBLK- prepended.  We like to change
this to NET- and ASN-.  Regardless, what is currently stored in the
database is not uniform, and will require clean-up.  I guess we really
need to look at Cathy's report to see how many AS/Nets this will affect.

Ginny