IP Allocation/Assignment Doc Draft

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:21:52 EDT 2000

All,
I have below a proforma outline of what might be a document to help ISPs
educate customers about IP addressing issues that impact them through ARIN
and the ISP involved.  I expect that references to more fundamental
documentation and organization sites will be provided in the document.  I
would like to see the document limited to 2 pages so as to fix a single,
double-sided page.  I propose that the document be published as an ARIN
document.

Please consider this as a starting point for discussions of content,
objectives, size, whatever....
Your suggestions/feedback please....

ARIN CLEW Draft Document

CLEW Document on Address Allocation and Assignment

Internet organization (brief)
	Whose in charge from ICANN on down...
ARIN as custodian and IP allocation to ISP (brief)
	The need to conserve
	ISPs as agents of ARIN
IP Addressing review
	IP addresses as unique identifiers
	IPv4 address space
	Classfull allocations and inefficiency
	Classless addressing increases efficiency
	Balance between address assignments and route table size (CIDR)
Legacy Assignments and IPv4 address reclamation (brief)
	The problem with correcting problems of the past
	Current status
IPv6 in our future (brief)
	IPv6 address space
	Current Status