Long over due

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Wed May 10 12:06:26 EDT 2000

At 8:19 AM -0500 5/10/2000, Bill Darte wrote:
>Clew members...
>
>At the Calgary meeting many of spoke about the need to get the CLEW
>workgroup established and working on substantive issues that members and the
>industry need.....Education about ARIN, addressing, whatever....
>
>I promised that when I got back I would prime the workgroup with a message.
>A message that would elicit response to see if the mail server 'really
>works' and to see if anyone would  'really respond'.... so here it is.....
>
>Is anyone listening out there?
>
>I propose that each of you identify one, just 1, topic that you think would
>be of interest or is needed by the address providers or consumers....  I
>would be willing to aggregate the list and prioritize the efforts toward
>accomplishing the tasks on the list.

My hot button is probably microallocations and recommended
multihoming practices.

>So, please send your topic and let's get started.
>
>BTW....my topic is the creation of a two-day workshop that explains about
>addressing history, the dilemmas of addressing and route tables, the need
>for conservation, ARIN and it's agenda...ICANN and it's agenda....IPv6 and
>it's agenda....etc.   This seminar would be taught by me and would travel to
>whatever ISP arranged customer/industry gathering which requests it on a
>first-come, first-served basis.  Local organizations would support the cost
>of the local arrangements and seminar leaders travel..... the cost of the
>leader would be supported by ARIN out of a Education fund, to be
>established.  The actual leader would be an ARIN employee or some contract
>educator like myself or others.

As far as the seminar, I do have a book out, _Designing Addressing
Architectures for Routing and Switching_ (Macmillan), that could
serve as the basis for such a course.

I am now working for Nortel, which is very supportive of my getting
involved here.