[Arin-whoisrws] Formulating Web query for network name(s)

Michael T. Davis davism at ecr6.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jun 21 13:26:58 EDT 2010

	I'm trying to figure out how to leverage the Web-based system to
make a query for a wildcarded network name.  Right now, I can query against
the ARIN Whois server with the string...

                            n . - <netname-prefix>*

For example...

                                 n . - APNIC-1*

,..which would list a summary of all networks with a name (i.e. "NetName")
that started with "APNIC-1."  If I visit...

                 http://whoisrws-demo.arin.net/ui/advanced.jsp

...I can specify the query as "APNIC-1*", and request a "Network" query for
the "Name," and get the same results.  How do I duplicate this by using a
Web query against http://whoisrws-demo.arin.net/rest/...?  Reading through
the API documentation, I thought it might be...

              http://whoisrws-demo.arin.net/rest/net;name=APNIC-1*

...but /net apparently doesn't support any "matrix parameters."

	In general, I need to know how to make a Web query for the Whois
equivalents of "n . - <netname-prefix>*" (which would list a summary of any
matches), and "n . + <netname-prefix>*" (which would provide the details for
each matching network).  Please advise.

Thanks,
Mike