[Arin-whoisrws] Changes to Whois-RWS

Garth Dubin gdubin at arin.net
Mon Nov 30 15:56:01 EST 2009

All,

Several additions to Whois-RWS will be rolled out this afternoon.  You may notice a small outage during the upgrade but we'll try to keep it to a minimum.

The changes this go around are:

 *   CIDR queries are now supported in both the port 43 proxy and the web-based form.
 *   Query limits were removed from related resource listings.  The 10 record limit will remain on general queries/searches but from now on we'll return an unlimited set of related resource data when querying for specific entries.  For example, searching all organizations for a wildcard value will still be limited to 10 results but viewing an individual organization will show all their related networks regardless of the limit.
 *   When performing those general searches via Whois-RWS, we're now letting you know when you've hit the limit.  You'll see a message that says, "This query resulted in more than 10 records. Additional results are not shown.  Please narrow your search parameters."
 *   A bug was fixed to allow network blocks to display properly using our HTML XSLT.
 *   Network block and cidr queries no longer include the version (v4/v6) in the URL.  This should simplify client-side code and allow anyone using this API programmatically to simply pass off addresses regardless of version.  See the documentation for examples.
 *   When using block or cidr queries, you can now append "/net" to the end of the URL to view the net record associated with the block.

Again, we welcome your comments, questions and suggestions!

Garth Dubin
ARIN Software Engineer