[arin-tech-discuss] changes to Reg-RWS (was Re: why do I have error 400 bad request reuturned?)

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Wed Nov 26 12:06:52 EST 2014

On 11/26/2014 11:17 AM, Andy Newton wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Brian Rak <brak at gameservers.com
> <mailto:brak at gameservers.com>> wrote:
>
>> http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-65-127-10-168-1/pft
>>
>> Checking the start IP and end IP is not sufficient.
>>
>> I've been down the path you're going.  The best solution I found is:
>>
>> * Use /rest/report/reassignment/ROOT to get a list of all the
>> reassignments for a particular network (it'll be in xls format, you
>> need to convert it to something you can parse).
>> * Go through the list, issue DELETE's for any subnets that are not in
>> your database
>> * Wait awhile (5-10 minutes)
>> * Go through and issue reassignments for any subnets that are new or
>> that ARIN doesn't know about.
>>
>> It's a large pain to get all the logic working correctly here, but if
>> you don't do it you'll be running into overlaps and other errors forever.
>
> Brian,
>
> I agree. What you have described is painful. And it is not the first
> time this has been pointed out.
>
> Though a few suggestions have been made informally over the years,
> they’ve never reached much consensus and there has not been a request
> that ARIN implement them.
>
> So that we can address these issues, here is what I propose. I will
> create specification document outlining new methods and payloads for
> Reg-RWS, and I will send it to this list for discussion and to get
> your collective input. Once we have a document we agree will address
> these issues, it can be put forward as a request for ARIN implementation.
>
> Does this sound like a workable path forward?
>
> Andy Newton,
> Chief Engineer, ARIN

That sounds like it would be a good path forward.

I'm going to talk with some of our other developers about this, and see
if we can offer any suggestions for API methods or changes that would
make it easier.

One thing I can immediately think of is giving us the reassignment
report in some easily parsable format.  Currently, we convert the XLS to
a CSV and parse that, but that has always seemed kinda hacky to me.
Also, if the reassignment report contained additional details (such as
the ORGID or customer ID/name) this would simplify things for us (as we
wouldn't need to hit the whois API for each subnet)

Do you have any statistics about the number of reassignments that come
in via the API, versus the number that come in via the old email
system?  I'm curious to know what kind of usage it's seeing.