[arin-tech-discuss] why do I have error 400 bad request reuturned?

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Tue Nov 25 12:38:11 EST 2014

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-65-127-10-168-1/pft

Checking the start IP and end IP is not sufficient.

I've been down the path you're going.  The best solution I found is:

* Use /rest/report/reassignment/ROOT to get a list of all the
reassignments for a particular network (it'll be in xls format, you need
to convert it to something you can parse).
* Go through the list, issue DELETE's for any subnets that are not in
your database
* Wait awhile (5-10 minutes)
* Go through and issue reassignments for any subnets that are new or
that ARIN doesn't know about.

It's a large pain to get all the logic working correctly here, but if
you don't do it you'll be running into overlaps and other errors forever.

I get the distinct feeling that not many people are actually working
with the API at this point, so it's a pretty painful process.