[arin-tech-discuss] Is ParentNetHandle mandatory in Net payload

Jon Worley jonw at arin.net
Thu Nov 13 17:12:39 EST 2014

Hello Sean,

There are several ways you might want to approach this.

Since the set of direct allocations issued to CenturyLink doesn’t change all that frequently - only when you get a new block from ARIN or via a transfer, or transfer an existing block to another organization - you might consider storing data on all of your direct allocations locally with relevant data - net handle, start IP, end IP, etc.  When you want to make a reassign call, you can reference that stored data to take the prefix/range to be reassigned and determine the associated parent net handle.  As an example, if you locally store data for the net handle NET-63-144-0-0-1 with a start IP address of 63.144.0.0 and an end IP address of 63.151.255.255, you can then use that data to determine 63.145.104.192 falls within NET-63-144-0-0-1.  The only caveat with this approach is that you’d need to update your local data whenever you add a new block, transfer a block to another organization, etc.

Another option would be to use ARIN’s Whois-RWS API to identify the parent net handle for a given IP address.  You can use that API to form a URL (http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/63.145.104.192) which asks for the network handle associated with 63.145.104.192.  You’ll get back a payload with the network registration information, including the net handle.  Note that there’s no way to submit a call asking for only a direct allocation to be returned; if the IP address is already assigned to a customer, you’ll get that record back.  You’d have to then use the parent net handle from that record to submit a second query for registration information for that network, then verify what you get back is a direct allocation.  Keep in mind the Whois-RWS API is different than the Reg-RWS API.  It’s public so there’s no API key, the payloads might not be exactly the same, etc.

Those are the options that occur to me as being most useful.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please respond to this message or contact me directly.

Regards,

Jon Worley
Principal Technical Analyst
ARIN Registration Services