[arin-tech-discuss] How do I know an ip should be REALLOCATE orREASSIGN?

Schiller, Heather A heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Mon May 16 18:04:07 EDT 2011

Whether a block is reassigned or reallocated is a decision of the person
assigning/allocating the netblock to your customer.

Reallocations can be further subdelegated.  For example, you
'reallocate' a netblock to an ISP, who may in turn make further
subdelegations to their customers.
Reassignments are given to an organization that will be the end user of
the address space.  For example, you 'reassign' a netblock to an
enterprise organization or small business who will use the IP addresses
for themselves.

Nothing about the record in ARIN when you search, tells you whether it
should be reassigned or reallocated, because no record exists, as you
have not created it yet.  The administrator handing out your IP
addresses makes the decision about whether to reallocate or reassign.

Page 12 specifies the nettype field:
https://www.arin.net/resources/restful-payloads.pdf

--Heather