[ARIN-Suggestions] Two ACSPs closed with IRR deployment

ARIN info at arin.net
Thu Jun 25 14:43:33 EDT 2020

On 10 June ARIN deployed our new Internet Routing Registry which
satisfied two suggestions in the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process.

1. ACSP 2015.3: Tie Route Objects in IRR to Netblocks of RIR Database

https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/acsp/suggestions/2015-3.html

The ability to tie route objects in the ARIN’s IRR to netblocks of the
RIR database. This would allow for IRR objects to be marked as
authorized against a known trusted source.

Value to Community:

There has been an issue with the validity off IRR information in the
ARIN region. In other regions the RIR’s have provided coupled IRR and
RIR data to provide strong provenance.

Within the operator community there is increasing demand for trustworthy
IRR data to improve the integrity of the routing system.

The ARIN community would benefit from Operators being able to protect
themselves in a more meaningful way.

RESPONSE:

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2015.3 on confirmed receipt,
asking that ARIN tie route objects in the ARIN’s Internet Routing
Registry (IRR) to netblocks of the RIR database.

With our most recent deployment we launched the first phase of our new
IRR, which users can publish routing information for any networks and AS
numbers that are assigned to an Org ID that they’re associated with, and
which are covered by a Registration Services Agreement (RSA). This
allows ARIN the ability to validate the authority over the resources.
You can learn more at
https://www.arin.net/resources/manage/irr/irr-overview/

Because this work has been completed, we are closing your suggestion.
Thank you for your participation in the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion
Process.

2. ACSP 2020.4: Web GUI for ARIN IRR

https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/acsp/suggestions/2020-4.html

ARIN IRR should have a Web UI to make it easier to use and also usable
over an encrypted protocol.

Value to Community:

There is currently an issue with the usability of the ARIN IRR due to
the email interface and the manual process to get a PGP key added.

A web UI to create/delete/edit route(6)/as-set/aut-num objects would
greatly simplify the use of the IRR.

RESPONSE:

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2020.4 on confirmed receipt,
asking that ARIN develop a web-based interface for our Internet Routing
Registry (IRR) service.

With our most recent deployment we launched the first phase of our new
IRR, which includes a web interface that is available to customers via
ARIN Online. You can learn more at