[ARIN-Suggestions] Response and Closing of ACSP 2019.15: Method of Remote Participation

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Jun 18 09:26:41 EDT 2019

On 29 May, we issued a closing response to ACSP 2019.15: Method of
Remote Participation. Please see the full text of our response and the
suggestion below or online at:

https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/acsp/suggestions/2019-15.html

Response:

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2019.15 upon confirmed receipt,
requesting that ARIN revert from Slack to an IRC solution for remote
participation because Slack is does not support IPv6, or to offer
multiple chat options to enable IPv6 remote participation.

This suggestion raises an interesting conundrum. As you noted, ARIN does
have a stated goal of supporting IPv4 and IPv6 where possible, and we
make a every effort to do so. However, in the case of remote
participation, we had a long history of user problems our previous
solution, Jabber, an XMP service which we used from 2008 to 2017. So
much so, that another community member submitted ACSP 2017.7
recommending we switch to Slack to make our remote chat convenient for
participants. See:
https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/acsp/suggestions/2017-7.html

While we continue to encourage Slack to step up their progress towards
supporting IPv6, we do intend to continue to use this service because it
offers a superior user experience for our remote participants. Adding a
second remote participation channel would add a layer of support
complexity that would potentially degrade the experience of all remote
participants.

We certainly do understand your concern, and struggle with this issue
across all ARIN services on an ongoing basis. We will continue to make
every effort to ensure we are using services that are available over
both IPv4 and IPv6 when services that meet our community's needs are
available.

Thank you for participating in the ARIN Suggestion and Consultation
Process. This suggestion is now closed.

Suggestion:

participation (or allow IRC as an alternative) to enable IPv6 remote
participation.

Value to Community: IRC enabled remote participation via both IPv4 and
IPv6. Slack is currently IPv4 only. Per the closing of 2019-13, ARIN has
a stated goal of supporting both IPv4 and IPv6 as long as both are in
common/widespread use. Using Slack (only) is in violation of that stated
goal.

Regards,

Communications and Member Services