[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2015.9: CONVERT IPV4 COUNTDOWN TO SCIENTIFIC NOTATION

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Jul 6 17:51:13 EDT 2015

ARIN has issued its response to ACSP Suggestion 2015.9. The suggestion
and response text are provided below. This suggestion is now closed and
is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2015-9.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

Value to Community: As the available IPv4 free pool becomes
progressively more infinitesimal, the legibility of the tiny fraction of
a /8 remaining will be much better in scientific notation. For example,
today we are at 0.00847. 8.47E-3 is a bit easier to read. As the decimal
moves farther to the left, the effect will be more pronounced.
This is semi-tongue in cheek, but I couldn't resist. The reality is I
don't expect the counter to be relevant long enough for this suggestion
to get implemented. It's time to recognize that IPv4 is over and turn
our focus to IPv6 deployment.

*Response:*

Thank you for your suggestion (2015-9) on the topic of changing how ARIN
displays the last remaining IPv4 free pool inventory. Although this type
of notation could be helpful to some, we have received only one
suggestion (from you) to make this change. We agree with your statement
that indicates the IPv4 free pool may deplete sooner than we could
prioritize this suggestion for implementation. For that reason, we are
closing this suggestion without taking further action.
Thank you for using the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process.